National News

Portugal fire rages after 62 people killed

More than 1,000 firefighters are still battling Portugal's deadliest forest blaze after it killed at least 62 people over the weekend.

Prime Minister Antonio Costa, who on Sunday visited Pedrogao Grande, a mountainous area about 200km northeast of Lisbon, called it the biggest human tragedy in Portugal.

Welcome light rain that started on Monday morning brought only modest relief to the shocked population and exhausted firefighters. Water planes, including French and Spanish ones, resumed their missions after stopping overnight.

"There is still a lot of forest that can burn and the rain does not make much difference," said Rui Barreto, deputy chief firefighter at the makeshift emergency services headquarters in Pedrogao Grande as thunder rolled through the skies over the ash-covered town.

Firefighters said the weather conditions were still adverse in most areas where the flames were raging. Two army battalions were helping the emergency services.

Dozens of fire engines drove back and forth to fight the raging blaze in areas as far as 20km north of Pedrogao Grande. In a sign of help Portugal is receiving from its European neighbours, four Spanish fire engines were seen driving off from the headquarters.

At least half the victims died in their cars as they tried to flee along a local motorway while many other bodies were found next to the road, suggesting they had probably abandoned their vehicles in panic.

Despite government assurances that the first response by the emergency services was swift and adequate, many media and residents questioned the efficiency of the operation and the strategic planning in a country which is used to wooded areas burning every year.

"So what failed this Saturday? Everything, as it has failed for decades," read a headline in the daily Publico, which blamed a lack of co-ordination between services in charge of fire prevention and firefighting and poor forestry reserve planning.

Police said a lightning strike on a tree probably caused the blaze on Saturday in a region hit by an intense heat wave and dry, gusty winds, which fanned the flames.

The regional prosecutor still ordered a criminal investigation into the causes, which he said would be shelved if the police version of events is confirmed. Many forest fires in Portugal are caused by arson or carelessness.

© DPA 2017

You may also like...

5-year-old is tower fire's youngest victim

5-year-old is tower fire's youngest victim

A five-year-old boy has been identified by police as the youngest victim so far of the fire which engulfed a London tower block two weeks ago, killing...

Other London buildings combustible: PM

Other London buildings combustible: PM

British Prime Minister Theresa May's office says around 600 buildings in England have cladding similar to the type blamed for the quick spread of...

New apartments for London fire tenants

New apartments for London fire tenants

General view of flats under construction in the Kensington Row development, in Kensington, west London, where some residents affected by the...

Tears for London fire victims

Tears for London fire victims

The death toll from a fire that ravaged a London tower block last week has risen to 79, police say, as the government tries to show it's improving its...

Raging fires in Portugal claim 61 lives

Raging fires in Portugal claim 61 lives

A raging forest fire in central Portugal sent flames sweeping over roads, killing at least 61 people, many of them trapped in their cars as they...