National News

Appeal in Salt Creek case delayed

A bid by Salt Creek attacker Roman Heinze to have his conviction and sentence overturned has been delayed until next month.

Heinze was jailed for at least 17 years after being found guilty of six charges including aggravated kidnapping and endangering life in relation to his attacks on two young backpackers at the remote beach on the SA Coorong in February last year.

His case came before the Court of Criminal Appeal on Monday for him to seek leave to contest his convictions and the sentence imposed.

But both matters were adjourned until August 7.

The 61-year-old met his victims through the Gumtree website, where the Brazilian and German women had sought a ride to Melbourne. He drove them to the isolated dunes and after setting up camp launched his violent assaults.

That included tying up and sexually assaulting a Brazilian woman and hitting the German woman in the head several times with a hammer before trying to repeatedly run her over with his 4WD.

In sentencing him in May, Justice Trish Kelly said Heinze had not shown the slightest remorse or contrition for any of his crimes and there were no reasonable prospects of rehabilitation.

"In fact, the totality of the evidence convinces me, that if undetected, your offending would have continued and quite probably escalated," she said.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

Salt Creek attacker seeks leave to appeal

Salt Creek attacker seeks leave to appeal

Salt Creek attacker Roman Heinze is due to return to court in South Australia as he seeks to have his conviction and 17-year sentence for attacking...

Police appeal for help with Brisbane shots

Police appeal for help with Brisbane shots

Queensland police are investigating after a gunshot was fired at a suburban Brisbane house late Saturday night.A woman was inside the Holland Park...

Violence must stop: Slain student's family

Violence must stop: Slain student's family

The family of slain Victorian law student Joshua Hardy hope his killer's failed appeal bid sends a timely message that unprovoked violence won't be...

Vic McDonald's killer loses appeal bid

Vic McDonald's killer loses appeal bid

A Melbourne banker who killed a young man in a violent assault during "six seconds of madness" outside a McDonald's has lost his appeals, leaving his...

Vic McDonald's killer loses appeal bid

Vic McDonald's killer loses appeal bid

A Melbourne banker who killed another man in "six seconds of madness" outside a McDonald's has lost a bid to appeal his murder conviction. Kyle...