Over the weekend Russell Crowe held the divorce auction with Southerby's Australia.
In a tweet afterwards he appeared to confirm he had sold $3.7 million worth of items “at the coalface”, with negotiations for a further $350,000 continuing. He also had a “bunch of stuff I didn’t really want to sell coming home”.
“Not a bad hourly rate for a 5 hour shift,” he wrote.
The actor arrived at the auction about 7pm after a rendition of Happy Birthday.
The Art of Divorce— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) April 7, 2018
In case anyone is interested ... $3.7m at the coal face and around $350k of conversations ongoing ... and a bunch of stuff I didn’t really want to sell coming home ... not a bad hourly rate for a 5 hour shift . Hope you are happy and busy
THE ECLECTIC AUCTION OF RUSSELL CROWE
The Oscar-winning actor parted with about 230 items ranging from artwork, jewellery and sports memorabilia to movie props and costumes following his divorce from Danielle Spencer. Here are some of the highest winning bids.
* Charles Blackman artwork “The Suitor” (1960) - $360,000
* The 1986 Grammy Award presented to Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Sam Phillips, Rick Nelson and Chips Moman — $150,000
* Violin by Leandro Bisiach Sr (1864-1946) used by Crowe as the character Captain Jack Aubrey in the film Master and Commander (2003), dated 1890 — $135,000.
* Stunt cuirass worn by Crowe when his character Maximus died in the 2000 film Gladiator — $125,000.
* Costume for the character Captain Jack Aubrey from Master and Commander (2003) - $115,000.
* Replica Roman chariot from Gladiator — $65,000.
* Mounted Mosasaur skull, late Cretaceous period — $65,000.
* Pair of black leather wrist cuffs from Gladiator — $32,000.
* Templar tunic and chain mail from the film Robin Hood (2010) - $16,000
* The costume worn for the character Javert during the performance of the song Stars in the 2012 film Les Miserables — $16,000
* Blue wool vest for the character Javert in Les Miserables — $12,000
* Brown leather hood from Robin Hood — $11,000
* Leather pair of Dr Martens boots from the movie Romper Stomper (1992) - $10,000.
* Leather jockstrap worn by Crowe in the 2005 movie Cinderella Man — $7000.
* Two life-size prop horses from Gladiator — $5,500 each.
(Winning bids also attract a 22 per cent commission)